Running for Council as an Independent has been a great experience – I get to say, think and do what I want! The downside is that unlike candidates from the major parties, I don’t have the same support – in terms of both manpower and financial support. That’s why volunteers are the lifeblood of my campaign – I simply couldn’t do it without all the people who have already helped so much.
I’ve often been asked: “How can I help?”. Well, here are a few things that would be really helpful:
- Manning polling booths on Election Day – There are a lot of polling booths to cover, so any time you can give is greatly appreciated, even if it’s only an hour or two. I’m looking for 3 people at each booth at all times, so you wouldn’t be on your own.
- Pre-Poll – Same concept as volunteering on Election Day, but doing it at pre-poll in the 2 weeks leading up to the election. Exact locations TBC. This is idea for someone who is free during the day.
- Letterboxing – I don’t have the budget to use Australia Post to distribute my flyers. Instead, I rely on people power! The Blakehurst ward has been broken up into map areas, and you would deliver flyers in that area only. The areas aren’t big – it would take about an hour, and would only be approximately 2-4 times during the campaign
- Attend a fundraiser – Come along to my trivia night! It will be held on Saturday, 12 August at South Hurstville RSL. It promises to be a great night, and by attending you’re helping an Independent compete against the major parties who have plenty of money to spend on this election!
- Putting a sign up – Want to show the world that you’re supporting an honest, local Independent? Why not put a poster in your front yard to help get the message out?!
- Help me get the word out – By liking and sharing my posts, it spreads my ideas around the community. If you see a post that you agree with, please share!
The major parties think a little Independent has no chance in this election. But with your help, we can show them that the community is sick of business as usual, and wants a truly Independent voice on Georges River Council.